Employment Practices Liability (EPL) insurance provides broad liability protection for all employment practice violations such as harassment, discrimination and wrongful termination. The coverage it provides goes beyond that of a standard Directors’ & Officers’ policy, in that it provides protection for the company and all of its employees (including directors, officers and temporary or season workers).
EPL insurance includes:
- Regulatory investigations
- Defence costs
- Legal representation costs at an official investigation
- Punitive damages (for North American exposure)
- Third party coverage
- Assistance costs/defence costs relating to OSHA citation (for North American exposure)
- Cover for immigration practices claims (for North American exposure)
- Mental anguish and emotional distress
- Wage and hour defence costs cover (for North American exposure)
Who should consider buying this insurance?
Employment Practices Liability insurance is needed as soon as an organisation starts to hire employees.
In recent years, new laws and directives around employee rights means the issues EPL insurance addresses are more important than ever. With employees more informed of their rights, EPL insurance should be high on any organisation's agenda when it comes to managing their risks.